Thursday, April 16, 2009

Response to Introduction: Writing and Recording Knowledge

After reading Elizabeth Hill Boone's article, I learn a lot about the revolution of literacy. This makes me think about myself. I am good at listening, not only in the test, but also in daily life; not only in Chinese, but also in English. And I often set it as one of my skills. As Elizabeth said in the article, listening, speaking, reading and writing are from the same literacy, I prefer to call them "language literacy". While listening is the first step to acknowledge a language, if you cannot understand the text or what people said, you probably cannot do anything related to that language.

The listening what I am talking about is not something about whether you have a strong enough listening ability to hear others' voice, but a skill which you can understand, interpret and create even to communicate with others. That's lead us back to the definition of the literacy. I like to understand others feeling and what they are thinking and talking. Sometimes I really consider that listening is one of the best ways to get on well with friends.

Great thoughts and ideas are not all from talking, but absolutely from listening. When you understand something, maybe you do not have to say something or even write something about that, you can think by yourself in heart and then let others listen to your thoughts.

That is what I think about this article, we cannot put the different parts of the language apart, because they are indeed a whole, what we should do is to use them appropriately and help us to better survive in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment